Friends of Vade Mecum

Vade Mecum History

Here are some brief highlights of the history of Vade Mecum, NC.

1900 – John Sparks comes to area buys 3,000 acres
1901 – First hotel built where Tise Hall also known as the gym, now stands
1902 – Second hotel built which is still standing
1903 – John Sparks dies from an infected Lion bite
1908 – First hotel burns
1909 – Vade Mecum in bankruptcy – Tise takes over
1914 – Third hotel built – The Grand Hotel where the Chapel of Thanks now stands
1917 – J. Cicero Tise dies
1920 – Grand hotel burns where the Chapel of Thanks now stands
1929-30 – Vade Mecum is leased to teh Episcopal Church of NC
1929-30 – Tise Hall & Pool constructed per Tise’s will
1939 – Chapel of Thanks construction begun
1974 – Sertoma Clubs of Winston-Salem & Yadkinville lease the property
1981 – NCSU manages the property as a 4-H Camp
2013 – Locals fight to save the property
2014 – State transfers the entire 750 acres (Moores Springs & Vade Mecum tracts) to the NC State Park system.